Ethics and Code of Conduct at Kriya Yoga Studio
Everything Kriya Yoga Studio achieves is pursued with commitment to a set of core values: Caring, Compassion, Collaboration, Commitment, Genuineness, Generosity, Harmony, Honesty, Openness and above all awareness. These values are held in high regard as they serve as a guide for teaching, decision-making, and professional practice. Our instructors, volunteers and staff are firmly committed to ethical practice and to embrace open and honest relationships with their colleagues and students.
Ethical Principles for Instructors
1. Acting with Integrity means acting as a responsible member of the organisation and community; behaving in an open and honest manner, and abstaining from deceptive acts and practices.
2. Limits to Scope of Practice means not falsely representing one’s skills or scope of practice and if necessary, referring students to seek alternative instruction, advice, treatment or direction.
3. Enhancing the Workplace Environment means fostering an environment that respects the dignity and values of all people; and working collectively to provide excellent teaching and care.
4. Providing a Safe Learning Environment means cultivating a safe, non-judgemental, honest, healthy and compassionate environment where all students and instructors regardless of age, physical limitations, race, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation feel welcome.
5. Avoid words and actions that constitute sexual harassment or harassment based on other legal protected characteristics.
6. Adhere to the traditional yoga principles as written in the Yamas and Niyamas.
7. Ensuring Privacy and Confidentiality means protecting the confidentiality, privacy and security of the personal information of students and colleagues.
8. Complying with Legislation means respecting all provincial and national laws pertaining to the business of Yoga & Meditation.
Code of Conduct for Members/ Students
In order to guarantee that each student receives the best experience possible, Kriya Yoga Studio requests that everyone respects the etiquette of our classes:
1. First time students should arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of their first class to register. We cannot guarantee entry should students arrive late or close to the start of class.
2. All classes begin and end on time. Instructors start each class on time to demonstrate their respect for the practice and they end each practice on time to show respect to their students. As such, please arrive before the start of class and prepare to stay the entire time. Latecomers will not be permitted into class.
3. Please remove your shoes/boots when entering the studio.
4. No use of cell phones or pagers in the studio. Please turn them off before entering.
5. Limit your postures to poses and techniques that are being guided by your instructors. Listen to your body and do not hesitate to go into a resting pose should you require to do so.
6. Please inform your instructor during class about current health issues or injuries.
7. Students are requested to maintain healthy boundaries with our studio, including our instructors, energy students and other students all times. A student must not engage in any verbal or physical behaviour of a demeaning, harassing or abusive nature in any professional context. Any form of harassment will not be tolerated and student may be barred from the studio should the behaviour persist.
8. Students should not contact the studio or our instructors through phone, email or social media regarding any serious personal relationship issues or histories (e.g., mental health/illness) unrelated to their yoga or meditation practice at our studio. Should students require additional support regarding their emotional and mental health needs, we recommend that you contact your family physician or appropriate health care provider.
9. Be open, have fun and above all practice each class mindfully and with intent.